Before you buy a puppy
Questions to ask yourself before getting a puppy:
- Why did you decide on a Havanese? Do you know someone with this breed? Have you already “met” a dog of this breed? Will its personality and temperament match with your own?
- Do you have any preferences as to sex or colour? Do you want a pet or show dog? Do you intend to breed, too?
- Do you own your home or do you rent? If you rent, does your landlord allow dogs?
- Is anyone in your family allergic to pets?
- Have you ever housetrained a dog before? Do you have the time to train a puppy?
- Do you know how active the Havanese will be? Are you prepared to forego other activities in order to tend to your dog’s needs? Do you have enough room, inside and outside, to meet the Havanese’s exercise needs? Can you provide sufficient daily exercise routines for your dog?
- Where will your Havanese live, sleep, eat, and play? Do you understand that dogs thrive on human attention and cannot be isolated from the rest of the family? Are all members of your household away during the day? How much time will you have with your dog each day? How long will your dog be left alone? What provisions will you make for your Havanese while you are gone?
- What will you do with your dog when you go away on trips? Havanese do not do well in a kennel environment.
- Do you currently have any pets? If you do, will your current pets adapt to another animal in the family?
- Who will be responsible for the care, grooming, and training of your Havanese? Are you aware of the grooming requirements? Do you enjoy brushing enough to commit spending 15-30 minutes at least every other day to maintaining the dog’s coat? Or are you going to take your Havanese to a groomer? Do you have a groomer? Please be very careful in selecting a groomer. A poor groomer can do a lot of damage to not just the coat, but both physically and mentally.
- Have you considered the costs of owning a dog including veterinarian care, food, training, grooming, bedding, toys, etc.?
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet. Colette